Sunday, October 3, 2010

KING OF POPS

I have never had any passionate feelings in regard to popsicles. But over the summer, in Los Angeles, at the first swap meet that they held in the Dodger Stadium parking lot on a uncomfortably hot day, I sampled a lime mojito flavored popsicle from an overrun vendor that was the only thing enjoyable about the swap meet. Then the other night at Flux, a yearly art event in the Castleberry Hill area of Atlanta, there was a couple of tall fellows selling sexy-flavored popsicles (chocolate with sea salt, Arnold Palmer, plum pomegranate) on the street. I bought a raspberry lime one that was exceptionally thrilling beyond all expectations. The next day one of the guys (brothers I've since read) had his King of Pops cart at the intersection of North Highland and North (where you can often find him) and everyone we could see in all directions was savoring a popsicle. There was one lady sitting with her dog who was the only person around without a popsicle. But her husband quickly showed up baring popsicles and then only the dog was without. Atlanta has a slowly emerging street food scene. There is a Korean taco truck, inspired by the Kogi trucks in L.A., which I have not yet checked out. I used to yelp "Hooray!" when I saw a taco truck on Buford Highway, but have since noticed that it is always parked in the same place and may or may not be mobile. I used to eat everyday from a taco truck at school in ninth grade. It was parked on school property. Later, I was enthralled with the large variety of street food in Bangkok. The food truck scene may have gotten a bit out of hand in Los Angeles (an $11 sandwich isn't my idea of street food), but the idea of quick fresh food, especially tacos and burritos, the sort of stuff I grew up eating, is so very appealing in the leisurely-paced culinary landscape of Atlanta.

Kingofpops.net

No comments: